Bigger, brighter Supermoon graces the night sky
New Delhi: Star gazers across the country were in for a cosmic show Sunday night as the celestial neighbour moon glowed a lot bigger and brighter than it will be on any other night in 2012.
The phenomenon, called supermoon, this year coincides with `Buddha Purnima`.
On May 6 at 9.05 pm IST, the distance between the Earth and the Moon was 3,56,955 km, the closest this year, while the angular size of the Moon was 0.5515 degrees.
“It is very interesting to note that on May 6, the moon will set at western horizon a few minutes before sunrise and then it will rise again on the same evening about an hour after the sunset”, Arvind Paranjpye, Director of Mumbai-based Nehru Planetarium, said.
This occurs because the moon’s orbit is not perfectly circular.
This full Moon was nearly 16 percent brighter than average. Conversely, later this year on November 28, the full moon will coincide with apogee, the moon’s farthest approach, offering an especially small and dim full moon.
Though the rare appearance of this month’s full moon may be surprising to some, there’s no reason for alarm, scientists cautioned.
The slight distance variation is not enough to cause any earthquakes or extreme tidal effects, experts asserted.
However, the normal tides around the world will be mostly high and low. At perigee, the moon will exert about 42 percent more tidal force than it will during its next apogee two weeks later.
The last supermoon appeared in March 2011.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened