Bigger, brighter Supermoon graces the night sky
New Delhi: Star gazers across the country were in for a cosmic show Sunday night as the celestial neighbour moon glowed a lot bigger and brighter than it will be on any other night in 2012.
The phenomenon, called supermoon, this year coincides with `Buddha Purnima`.
On May 6 at 9.05 pm IST, the distance between the Earth and the Moon was 3,56,955 km, the closest this year, while the angular size of the Moon was 0.5515 degrees.
“It is very interesting to note that on May 6, the moon will set at western horizon a few minutes before sunrise and then it will rise again on the same evening about an hour after the sunset”, Arvind Paranjpye, Director of Mumbai-based Nehru Planetarium, said.
This occurs because the moon’s orbit is not perfectly circular.
This full Moon was nearly 16 percent brighter than average. Conversely, later this year on November 28, the full moon will coincide with apogee, the moon’s farthest approach, offering an especially small and dim full moon.
Though the rare appearance of this month’s full moon may be surprising to some, there’s no reason for alarm, scientists cautioned.
The slight distance variation is not enough to cause any earthquakes or extreme tidal effects, experts asserted.
However, the normal tides around the world will be mostly high and low. At perigee, the moon will exert about 42 percent more tidal force than it will during its next apogee two weeks later.
The last supermoon appeared in March 2011.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!