Black hole spinning at speed of light
Washington: The outer reaches of a `supermassive` black hole, more than two million miles across, or eight times the earth-moon distance, is spinning at nearly the speed of light.
The gigantic object is at the centre of the spiral galaxy NGC 1365. Astronomers measured its jaw-dropping spin rate using new data from the Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or NuSTAR, and the European Space Agency`s XMM-Newton X-ray satellites.
"This is the first time anyone has accurately measured the spin of a supermassive black hole," Guido Risaliti of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics (CfA) and INAF - Arcetri Observatory, who led the study, was reported as saying by the journal Nature.
Astronomers want to know the black hole`s spin for several reasons.
The first is physical - only two numbers define a black hole: mass and spin. By learning those two numbers, you learn everything there is to know about the black hole. Most importantly, the black hole`s spin gives clues to its past and by extension the evolution of its host galaxy.
"The black hole`s spin is a memory, a record, of the past history of the galaxy as a whole," explained Risaliti, according to the Harvard-Smithsonian statement.
Although the black hole in NGC 1365 is currently as massive as several million suns, it wasn`t born that big. It grew over billions of years by accreting stars and gas, and by merging with other black holes.
Similarly, if the black hole grew randomly by pulling in matter from all directions, its spin would be low. Since its spin is so close to the maximum possible, the black hole in NGC 1365 must have grown through "ordered accretion" rather than multiple random events.
Studying a supermassive black hole also allows theorists to test Einstein`s theory of general relativity in extreme conditions.
Relativity describes how gravity affects the structure of space-time, and nowhere is space-time more distorted than in the immediate vicinity of a black hole.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended