Black hole spinning at speed of light
Washington: The outer reaches of a `supermassive` black hole, more than two million miles across, or eight times the earth-moon distance, is spinning at nearly the speed of light.
The gigantic object is at the centre of the spiral galaxy NGC 1365. Astronomers measured its jaw-dropping spin rate using new data from the Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or NuSTAR, and the European Space Agency`s XMM-Newton X-ray satellites.
"This is the first time anyone has accurately measured the spin of a supermassive black hole," Guido Risaliti of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics (CfA) and INAF - Arcetri Observatory, who led the study, was reported as saying by the journal Nature.
Astronomers want to know the black hole`s spin for several reasons.
The first is physical - only two numbers define a black hole: mass and spin. By learning those two numbers, you learn everything there is to know about the black hole. Most importantly, the black hole`s spin gives clues to its past and by extension the evolution of its host galaxy.
"The black hole`s spin is a memory, a record, of the past history of the galaxy as a whole," explained Risaliti, according to the Harvard-Smithsonian statement.
Although the black hole in NGC 1365 is currently as massive as several million suns, it wasn`t born that big. It grew over billions of years by accreting stars and gas, and by merging with other black holes.
Similarly, if the black hole grew randomly by pulling in matter from all directions, its spin would be low. Since its spin is so close to the maximum possible, the black hole in NGC 1365 must have grown through "ordered accretion" rather than multiple random events.
Studying a supermassive black hole also allows theorists to test Einstein`s theory of general relativity in extreme conditions.
Relativity describes how gravity affects the structure of space-time, and nowhere is space-time more distorted than in the immediate vicinity of a black hole.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!