Black holes can create jets that control galaxy evolution
Washington: A team of scientists has suggested that the jets that control galaxy evolution might be formed by the retrograde spin of supermassive black holes.
Every galaxy has a collection of black holes, regions that gobble up matter and energy and can each be up to 10 times the Sun’s mass.
In addition to these black holes, there is a supermassive black hole embedded in the heart of each galaxy that is roughly one million to one billion times the mass of the Sun.
About 10 percent of these giant black holes feature jets of plasma, or highly ionized gas, that extend in opposite directions.
By spewing huge amounts of mostly kinetic energy, or energy created by motion, from the black holes into the universe, the jets control how stars and other bodies form, and play a crucial role in the evolution of clusters of galaxies, the largest structures in the universe.
How the jets form remains one of the most important unsolved mysteries in extragalactic astrophysics, and Dan Evans, a postdoctoral researcher from MIT’s Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research (MKI), may be one step closer to unlocking that mystery.
For two years, Evans has been comparing several dozen galaxies whose black holes host powerful jets to those galaxies with supermassive black holes that do not eject jets.
All black holes - those with and without jets - feature accretion disks, the clumps of dust and gas rotating just outside the event horizon.
By examining the light reflected in the accretion disk of an AGN black hole, Evans concluded that jets may form right outside black holes that have a retrograde spin, or that are spinning in the opposite direction from their accretion disk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister