Black holes may have `hair`, say scientists
Washington: Black holes may be less simple and "clean" than how most theoretical model describe them, according to researchers.
A new research carried out by a group of scientists that includes Thomas Sotiriou, a physicist of the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA) of Trieste, have suggested that black holes may be much "dirtier" than believed.
According to the traditional model, black holes are defined by only two quantities: mass and angular momentum (a black hole rotation velocity).
Once their progenitor has collapsed (a high mass star, for instance, that at the end of its life cycle implodes inwards) its memory is lost forever. All that is left is a quiescent black hole, with almost no distinctive features: all black holes, mass and angular momentum aside, look almost the same.
Sotiriou said that black holes, according to their calculations, may have hair, referring to a well-known statement by physicist John Wheeler , who claimed that "black holes have no hair," which means that mass and angular momentum are all one needs to describe them.
Sotiriou said that according to their calculations, the growth of the black hole`s hair is accompanied by the emission of distinctive gravitational waves.
The findings have been published in Physical Review Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen