Black holes may have `hair`, say scientists
Washington: Black holes may be less simple and "clean" than how most theoretical model describe them, according to researchers.
A new research carried out by a group of scientists that includes Thomas Sotiriou, a physicist of the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA) of Trieste, have suggested that black holes may be much "dirtier" than believed.
According to the traditional model, black holes are defined by only two quantities: mass and angular momentum (a black hole rotation velocity).
Once their progenitor has collapsed (a high mass star, for instance, that at the end of its life cycle implodes inwards) its memory is lost forever. All that is left is a quiescent black hole, with almost no distinctive features: all black holes, mass and angular momentum aside, look almost the same.
Sotiriou said that black holes, according to their calculations, may have hair, referring to a well-known statement by physicist John Wheeler , who claimed that "black holes have no hair," which means that mass and angular momentum are all one needs to describe them.
Sotiriou said that according to their calculations, the growth of the black hole`s hair is accompanied by the emission of distinctive gravitational waves.
The findings have been published in Physical Review Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video