Bob Geldof to become `first rocker in space`
London: Bob Geldof is all set to take off on a commercial flight out of the atmosphere next year.
The 61-year-old singer, who will fly 64 miles above the Earth`s surface in a two-person Lynx Mark II spaceplane, was offered the trip after his band agreed to perform at a charity ball where flights into space will be auctioned off for good causes, the Mirror reported.
Geldof, who will be the first Irishman to fly out of atmosphere, will begin training this weekend in a simulator in Holland.
According to the Space Expedition Corporation, the flight will include several minutes of weightlessness.
Bob is one of 100 people signed up for trips. Victoria`s Secret model Doutzen Kroes and DJ Armin van Buuren also have tickets.
It has been reported that the four-rocket plane will take off from a normal runway on the Caribbean isle of Curacao and will hit almost Mach 3 within three minutes at about 2,200mph after which the pilot will cut the engines and let the plane glide above the 62-mile mark where space begins.
The flight - organised by World Privilege Card - is expected to take one hour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?