`Bone` of Milky Way identified
Washington: Astronomers have identified a new structure in the Milky Way - a long tendril of dust and gas that they are calling a "bone."
"This is the first time we`ve seen such a delicate piece of the galactic skeleton," lead author Alyssa Goodman of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA) said.
Other spiral galaxies also display internal bones or endoskeletons. Observations, especially at infrared wavelengths of light, have found long skinny features jutting between galaxies` spiral arms. These relatively straight structures are much less massive than the curving spiral arms.
Computer simulations of galaxy formation show webs of filaments within spiral disks. It is very likely that the newly discovered Milky Way feature is one of these "bone-like" filaments.
Goodman and her colleagues spotted the galactic bone while studying a dust cloud nicknamed "Nessie."
The central part of the "Nessie" bone was discovered in Spitzer Space Telescope data in 2010 by James Jackson (Boston University), who named it after the Loch Ness Monster.
Goodman`s team noticed that Nessie appears at least twice and possibly as much as eight times, longer than Jackson`s original claim.
Radio emissions from molecular gas show that the feature is not a chance projection of material on the sky, but instead a real feature.
Not only is "Nessie" in the galactic plane, but also it extends much longer than anyone anticipated.
This slender bone of the Milky Way is more than 300 light-years long but only 1 or 2 light-years wide. It contains about 100,000 suns` worth of material, and now looks more like a cosmic snake.
"This bone is much more like a fibula - the long skinny bone in your leg - than it is like the tibia, or big thick leg bone," Goodman said.
"It`s possible that the `Nessie` bone lies within a spiral arm, or that it is part of a web connecting bolder spiral features. Our hope is that we and other astronomers will find more of these features, and use them to map the skeleton of the Milky Way in 3-D," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information