Brand new meteor shower may light up Earth`s sky today
Cape Canaveral: Earth will travel through a fresh stream of comet dust today, possibly creating a gallery of shooting stars for night-time sky-watchers, astronomers said on Friday.
Predictions call for more than 200 meteors per hour hitting the planet`s atmosphere during the peak hours of 2 am to 4 am EDT (0600 to 0800 GMT). North America will be in prime position for the celestial show, scientists said. Weather permitting, the meteors – remnants from the recently discovered Comet 209P/LINEAR – will appear to be coming from the direction of the northern constellation Camelopardalis.
“We’re going right smack in the middle of these (comet) dust trails and the meteors are going to be pretty slow,” University of Arizona astronomer Carl Hergenrother said in a NASA interview.
“It’s going to look almost like slow-moving fireworks, instead of the usual shooting stars,” he added.
Earth will be crossing 2009P/LINEAR’s trail for the first time since the comet’s discovery in 2004.
“Earth has never encountered this stream of debris before, so forecasters cannot be certain of their predictions. The display could be a complete dud, a fantastic ‘meteor storm,’ or anything in between,” astronomer Tony Phillips wrote on Spaceweather.com
Comet 2009P/LINEAR itself is due to make its closest approach to Earth on Thursday. The pass will be about 5 million miles (8 million) km away, too far to be seen by the naked eye.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter