‘Bullets’ of gas around supermassive black hole
Washington: Scientists have discovered unprecedented details close to a supermassive black hole, thanks to a fleet of spacecraft including ESA`s XMM-Newton and Integral.
The spacecrafts have revealed huge ‘bullets’ of gas being driven away from the ‘gravitational monster’.
The black hole that the team chose to study lies at the heart of the galaxy Markarian 509, 500 million light years away in space.
“XMM-Newton really led these observations because it has such a wide X-ray coverage, as well as an optical monitoring camera,” said Jelle Kaastra, SRON Netherlands Institute for Space Research.
Kaastra coordinated an international team of 26 astronomers from 21 institutes on four continents to make these observations
The bullets get stripped away from a dusty reservoir of matter waiting to fall into the black hole.
The surprise is that the reservoir is situated more than 15 light years away from the black hole. This is further than what some astronomers thought was possible for the wind to originate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'