Celestial delight: `Ring of fire` solar eclipse to be visible today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Skywatchers in parts of Australia and the Pacific region are in for a celestial treat as the Moon will block the Sun in a potentially brilliant solar eclipse - an event in which the Sun will transform into a cosmic ‘ring of fire’ during the daytime. The event is also known as the annual solar eclipse.
What is an annular eclipse?
During an annular eclipse, the Sun and Moon are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. Hence the Sun appears as a very bright ring for a few minutes which is otherwise known as the ‘ring of fire’.
At what time one can watch the eclipse?
This year`s annular eclipse is scheduled to start at 2:30 pm PT (US time). It will start in Western Australia and then track east toward the Solomon Islands.
Who all can see today’s eclipse?
The eclipse will be visible in certain parts of Australia and the Southern Pacific Ocean.
How to observe the eclipse?
According to experts, one should use special protective lenses, camera, telescope filters and other methods in order to safely watch the eclipse. Another simple way to view a solar eclipse is to use pinhole projection. One can also use an approved solar filter.
Watch the eclipse live
Astro enthusiasts can watch a live feed of the eclipse on the Internet-based space-tracking service Slooh Space Camera website which is broadcasting the annular eclipse via a telescope from Australia starting on May 9 at 5:30 pm ET (21:30 UT).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore