Celestial treat in store for star-gazers on Wednesday
New Delhi: A celestial treat is in store for
star-gazers who can look forward to see fire from the skies in
the form of meteor showers tomorrow.
Perseids, a prolific meteor shower associated with the
comet Swift-Tuttle, will be seen tomorrow, SPACE Director C B
Devgun told media.
Perseids, better known as earth gazers at its peak, is
visible from mid-July each year, with the greatest activity
between August 8 and 14. During the peak period, the rate of
meteors reaches 60 or more per hour, Devgun said.
The meteor is named Perseids because the point it appear
to come from, lies in the constellation Perseus.
He said the meteors can be seen all across the sky, but
because of the path of Swift-Tuttle`s orbit, Perseids is
primarily visible in the northern hemisphere.
The time when the meteor will be maximum is around 1-2 AM
on the August 12 as the Earth is expected to pass through a
denser-than-usual filament of dust from Perseid`s parent Comet
Swift-Tuttle, he added.
Astronomers have been observing Perseid meteor shower for
about last 2,000 years, with the first known information
coming from the far East, Devgun said, adding in early
medieval Europe, the Perseids came to be known as the "tears
of St. Lawrence".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation
- Sakshi Malik announced brand ambassador of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign in Haryana