China launches 2 satellites to enlarge its own GPS
Beijing: China today successfully launched two satellites into space to enlarge its indigenous global navigation network being built to rival United States global positioning system.
The 14th and 15th satellites for the Beidou, or Compass, system being built by China were launched from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest Sichuan province, by a Long March-3B carrier rocket.
"Since it started to provide services on a trial basis on December 27, 2011, the Beidou system has been stable and its services have been increased and improved," a spokesman for the China Satellite Navigation Office said.
"The system has been used in transportation, weather forecasting, marine fisheries, forestry, telecommunications, hydrological monitoring and mapping," state-run Xinhua quoted him as saying.
China started to build up its own satellite navigation system to break its dependence on the US GPS in 2000.
Between October 2000 and May 2003, it had set up a regional satellite navigation system after launching three Beidou geostationary satellites.
"Beidou-1 can not meet growing demand, so China decided to set up a more functional Beidou-2 regional and global navigation system," Qi Faren, former chief designer for Shenzhou spaceships, said.
From April 2007 to April this year, China launched another 13 orbiters to form its Beidou-2 system, which will eventually consist of 35 satellites.
Three Beidou satellites were sent into space early this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know