China Mars probe set for November launch
Shanghai: China`s first Mars probe will be launched from a Russian rocket in November, two years later than originally planned, state media reported Monday.
China`s Mars explorer, Yinghuo-1, marks the country`s first attempt at deep space exploration after sending a probe to the moon, the state-run China Daily reported, citing comments from a China Academy of Space Technology official.
The 110-kilogram (240-pound) micro-satellite was originally due to blast off in October 2009 with Russia`s "Phobos Explorer" from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan but the launch was postponed, according to previous reports.
The orbiter is due to probe the Martian space environment with a special focus on what happened to the water that appears to have once been abundant on the planet`s surface, previous reports said.
China is aiming to build a space exploration programme on par with those of the United States and Russia.
It currently has a probe -- the Chang`e 2 -- orbiting the moon and carrying out various tests in preparation for the expected 2013 launch of the Chang`e-3, which it hopes will be its first unmanned lunar landing.
It became the world`s third nation to put a man in space independently -- after the Soviet Union and the United States -- when Yang Liwei piloted the one-man Shenzhou-5 space mission in 2003.
China`s Wang Yue is currently participating in a simulation of a mission to Mars in Russia, where astronauts have spent eight months in a space capsule cut off from the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says