China to launch 3rd lunar mission this year
Beijing: China has begun the countdown for its third lunar mission later this year, during which it plans to land an orbiter on the moon`s surface.
The Chang`e-3 probe is scheduled to be sent into space at the end of this year for its lunar landing mission, the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence announced today.
"Chang`e-3 has officially entered its launch implementation stage following its research and construction period," an official statement said.
The mission will see an orbiter "soft-land" - a technique of landing by slowing speed - on a celestial body for the first time.
Earlier, China had planned to land a rover on the moon in its third mission in 2013 and to retrieve it in 2017 after surveying the lunar surface.
China launched the Chang`e-1 orbiter in 2007 and Chang`e-2 in 2010.
The first probe retrieved a great deal of scientific data and a complete map of the moon, while the second created a full high-resolution map of the moon and a high-definition image of Sinus Iridium, a lunar landmark.
Chang’e-2 is still travelling in space and flew to a distance of about 50 million km from Earth, marking a new height in Beijing`s deep space exploration efforts.
The probe is still "in good condition", the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence said last month.
Chang`e-2 will be able to travel to a distance as far as 300 million km away from Earth, according to calculations done by scientists from the Beijing Aerospace Control Centre
On June 9, 2011, after finishing its lunar objectives, Chang`e-2 left its lunar orbit for an extended mission to the Earth-Sun L2 Lagrangian point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister