China to launch second lunar probe next year: State media
Beijing: China will launch its second moon
orbiter next October, state media reported today, as it powers
ahead with a space programme that has sparked concerns abroad.
"It will orbit 100 kilometres (62 miles) closer to the
moon and be equipped with better facilities," the official
China Daily quoted Ye Peijian -- chief designer of Chang`e-1,
the country`s first lunar probe -- as saying.
"We expect to acquire more scientific data about the moon
with increased accuracy."
The Chang`e-2 mission will carry out tests in preparation
for a lunar landing and an unmanned rover on the moon`s
surface, expected to be launched before 2013, the report said.
A manned mission is planned around 2020.
China`s first lunar probe was launched in October 2007,
signalling the Asian giant`s rising space ambitions.
China has long maintained that rapid development of its
space capabilities is peaceful in nature, but recent comments
by air force commander Xu Qiliang sparked widespread concern
that Beijing had other ideas.
Xu told state press earlier this month that China`s armed
forces should prepare for the "inevitable" militarisation of
outer space -- a claim that was hastily disavowed by President
Chang`e-2, named after a legendary Chinese goddess who
flew to the moon, has an improved carrying capacity. Its
camera also has a higher resolution than its predecessor, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing