China`s lunar probe observes stars, explores Moon
Beijing: China`s lunar probe mission, which made the first soft-landing on the Moon since 1976, has collected a large amount of space observation and exploration data, authorities said today.
The mission, comprising the lander Chang`e-3 and rover Yutu, was launched in December as part of the second phase of the Chinese Lunar Exploration Programme.
A Moon-based optical telescope on the lander has observed lights from many celestial objects at near ultraviolet wavelengths and detected 23 stars, said a statement from the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence.
After analysis and processing of the data, scientists drafted an atlas of stars around the constellation Draco, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted the statement as saying.
Probe equipment on Yutu (Jade Rabbit) is being used to explore the Moon. The probe radar has surveyed the lunar surface and collected two sets of data about the structure of soil beneath the surface within 140 meters and 10 meters respectively, it said.
A panoramic camera and infrared spectrograph have sent back images of the lunar surface and data collected by a particle X-ray device helped scientists identify 11 types of chemical elements like magnesium, aluminium and calcium.
Data collected from observations of the plasmasphere over Earth will provide more information about the impact of solar activities, according to the statement.
These findings will help scientists to understand the terrain, geological structure, material composition and soil formation of the Moon, the statement said.
China is only the third country to perform a soft-landing on the Moon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon