China`s second unmanned lunar probe Chang`e 2 travels 70 mn km
Zee Media Bureau
Beijing: Chang`e-2, China`s second unmanned lunar probe, has traveller more than 70 million km into deep space in good condition, making the longest voyage of any Chinese spacecraft till date, said a senior engineer on Friday.
Chang`e 2 was launched on October 1, 2010 aboard a Long March 3C rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Xichang, Sichuan. A follow-up to the Chang`e-1 lunar probe, Chang`e 2 was launched to verify crucial technologies for Chang`e-3, the country`s third lunar carrying a moon rover that was launched on December 2, 2013.
It set off from its moon orbit for outer space in June 2011 after finishing all of its tasks.
The spacecraft is expected to travel as far as 300 million km from the earth, after which it will return to perigee of about 7 million km from the earth around 2029, Xinhua reported citing Zhou Jianliang, chief engineer of the Beijing Aerospace Control Centre.
It is estimated that the probe will reach 100 million km from earth in July this year.
The control centre has made many breakthroughs in fuel use and orbital decay technologies, which will boost China`s future deep space exploration, Zhou said.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi