Chinese firm to send Spanish robot to moon
Barcelona: China Great Wall Industry Corporation in June 2014 will launch the Spanish robot that is competing in the Google Lunar X Prize contest to the moon.
The agreement for the space shot was finalized in Paris between the leadership of CGWIC and the Galactic Suite company, which heads the Spanish team.
The launch will be made with a Long March 2C rocket.
The rocket will carry the Spanish module that, once it detaches and is moon bound, will make course corrections and brake to insert itself into lunar orbit, then touch down on the lunar surface to begin undertaking the tasks included in the contest.
The competition challenges participants to create a robot that can move over the lunar surface and send live images back to Earth before December 2015.
The probe must be able to travel 500 meters over the lunar surface, send data, high resolution images and video, survive for one lunar night (14.5 days), locate the remains of earlier missions, like Apollo or Viking, and detect water.
Barcelona Moon Team is the only team based in Spain that is participating in the Google Lunar X Prize, which has attracted the participation of private companies and technological centers from around the world.
The project is headed by Galactic Suite, a private space tourism company, and by ALTRAN, an international consulting firm specializing in technology and innovation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!