Chinese firm to send Spanish robot to moon
Barcelona: China Great Wall Industry Corporation in June 2014 will launch the Spanish robot that is competing in the Google Lunar X Prize contest to the moon.
The agreement for the space shot was finalized in Paris between the leadership of CGWIC and the Galactic Suite company, which heads the Spanish team.
The launch will be made with a Long March 2C rocket.
The rocket will carry the Spanish module that, once it detaches and is moon bound, will make course corrections and brake to insert itself into lunar orbit, then touch down on the lunar surface to begin undertaking the tasks included in the contest.
The competition challenges participants to create a robot that can move over the lunar surface and send live images back to Earth before December 2015.
The probe must be able to travel 500 meters over the lunar surface, send data, high resolution images and video, survive for one lunar night (14.5 days), locate the remains of earlier missions, like Apollo or Viking, and detect water.
Barcelona Moon Team is the only team based in Spain that is participating in the Google Lunar X Prize, which has attracted the participation of private companies and technological centers from around the world.
The project is headed by Galactic Suite, a private space tourism company, and by ALTRAN, an international consulting firm specializing in technology and innovation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs