Classification of brown dwarfs hinging between stars and planets
Washington: Brown dwarfs, sometimes called failed stars, are indeed the coldest known free-floating celestial bodies, and are warmer than previously believed with temperatures hovering at about 250-350 degrees Fahrenheit, according a new study.
To reach such low surface temperatures after cooling for billions of years means that these objects can only have about 5 to 20 times the mass of Jupiter.
Unlike the Sun, these objects` only source of energy is from their gravitational contraction, which depends directly on their mass.
Trent Dupuy, a Hubble Fellow at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, said that if one of these objects was found orbiting a star, there will be a good chance that it would be called a planet.
But because they probably formed on their own and not in a proto-planetary disk, astronomers still call these objects brown dwarfs even if they are `planetary mass.`
Characterizing these cold brown dwarfs is challenging because they emit most of their light at infrared wavelengths, and they are very faint due to their small size and low temperature.
The study has been published in the Science Express online .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why