Clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space: Physicist J V Narlikar
Agra: Eminent physicist J V Narlikar has said there is a clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space apart from the earth.
peaking on "Are We Alone in the Universe?" at DEI Deemed University at Dayalbagh here last evening, Narlikar, Professor Emeritus of the Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics-Pune, said it was, however, debatable as to the kind of life that might exist.
There could be intelligent species that might be living somewhere in space, in planets that have conditions similar to the earth, he said.
He said though scientists associated with biological sciences had discounted the possibility of life in space, astronomers and astrophysicists were optimistic.
Prof Narlikar said bacteria collected from 41 km away from the earth in outer space showed that three of the bacteria were different from those on earth. These three bacteria were found to be unaffected by ultra violet rays, leading astronomers to conclude that there could be more such bacteria and cells elsewhere in space and consequently the basis of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Now, Lexit: London wants to stay with EU, says petition
- UP cops fight publicly over 'share of bribe', video goes viral - Watch
- Make your smoothie a successful summer diet with these magical ingredients!
- Delhi govt introduces 'Change-makers in education' fellowship
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic