Clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space: Physicist J V Narlikar
Agra: Eminent physicist J V Narlikar has said there is a clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space apart from the earth.
peaking on "Are We Alone in the Universe?" at DEI Deemed University at Dayalbagh here last evening, Narlikar, Professor Emeritus of the Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics-Pune, said it was, however, debatable as to the kind of life that might exist.
There could be intelligent species that might be living somewhere in space, in planets that have conditions similar to the earth, he said.
He said though scientists associated with biological sciences had discounted the possibility of life in space, astronomers and astrophysicists were optimistic.
Prof Narlikar said bacteria collected from 41 km away from the earth in outer space showed that three of the bacteria were different from those on earth. These three bacteria were found to be unaffected by ultra violet rays, leading astronomers to conclude that there could be more such bacteria and cells elsewhere in space and consequently the basis of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi