Clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space: Physicist J V Narlikar
Agra: Eminent physicist J V Narlikar has said there is a clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space apart from the earth.
peaking on "Are We Alone in the Universe?" at DEI Deemed University at Dayalbagh here last evening, Narlikar, Professor Emeritus of the Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics-Pune, said it was, however, debatable as to the kind of life that might exist.
There could be intelligent species that might be living somewhere in space, in planets that have conditions similar to the earth, he said.
He said though scientists associated with biological sciences had discounted the possibility of life in space, astronomers and astrophysicists were optimistic.
Prof Narlikar said bacteria collected from 41 km away from the earth in outer space showed that three of the bacteria were different from those on earth. These three bacteria were found to be unaffected by ultra violet rays, leading astronomers to conclude that there could be more such bacteria and cells elsewhere in space and consequently the basis of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH