Clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space: Physicist J V Narlikar
Agra: Eminent physicist J V Narlikar has said there is a clear possibility of life existing elsewhere in space apart from the earth.
peaking on "Are We Alone in the Universe?" at DEI Deemed University at Dayalbagh here last evening, Narlikar, Professor Emeritus of the Inter University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics-Pune, said it was, however, debatable as to the kind of life that might exist.
There could be intelligent species that might be living somewhere in space, in planets that have conditions similar to the earth, he said.
He said though scientists associated with biological sciences had discounted the possibility of life in space, astronomers and astrophysicists were optimistic.
Prof Narlikar said bacteria collected from 41 km away from the earth in outer space showed that three of the bacteria were different from those on earth. These three bacteria were found to be unaffected by ultra violet rays, leading astronomers to conclude that there could be more such bacteria and cells elsewhere in space and consequently the basis of life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'