Coimbatore student discovers new asteroid
Coimbatore: An engineering student of Karunya University here has discovered an asteroid, along with his Chinese friend.
A communication was received by the University from International Asteroid Search Collaboration stating that Atul Felix Payapilly and his friend Zhang from China have
discovered the `Main belt Asteroid 2010 RR52,` during the recently concluded 45-day campaign conducted by IASC.
The name given to the new asteroid would be temporary and the progress would be followed till the asteroid`s orbit was completely known, Dr Patrick Miller, founder of IASC, said in his communication to Paul P Appasamy, Vice-Chancellor of the
The asteroid will be then assigned a number and placed in the world`s official catalogue maintained by the Minor Planet Center and the International Astronomical Union in Paris, the communique said.
Once it reached the numbered status, the student would be given 10 years time to give a name for the asteroid, which would be approved by the Union, Miller, in his e-mail sent to Appasamy, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon