Coimbatore student discovers new asteroid
Coimbatore: An engineering student of Karunya University here has discovered an asteroid, along with his Chinese friend.
A communication was received by the University from International Asteroid Search Collaboration stating that Atul Felix Payapilly and his friend Zhang from China have
discovered the `Main belt Asteroid 2010 RR52,` during the recently concluded 45-day campaign conducted by IASC.
The name given to the new asteroid would be temporary and the progress would be followed till the asteroid`s orbit was completely known, Dr Patrick Miller, founder of IASC, said in his communication to Paul P Appasamy, Vice-Chancellor of the
The asteroid will be then assigned a number and placed in the world`s official catalogue maintained by the Minor Planet Center and the International Astronomical Union in Paris, the communique said.
Once it reached the numbered status, the student would be given 10 years time to give a name for the asteroid, which would be approved by the Union, Miller, in his e-mail sent to Appasamy, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- WATCH: Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif, ex-president Pervez Musharraf flirted with this girl?
- What's cooking? Farah Khan's 'do anmol ratan' Ranveer Singh, Anil Kapoor spill madness at shoot
- EXCLUSIVE: This is what Kashmiri children think about India – Must watch video
- US-backed forces give IS '48 hours' to leave Syria's Manbij
- RBI to cut rates by 0.25% on Aug 9 if rains damp pulse price