Coldest star in space discovered
Washington: Imagine a star as frosty as the earth`s North Pole!
It is true as a Penn State University astronomer using NASA`s Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) and Spitzer Space Telescopes has discovered a “brown dwarf” star that appears to be the coldest of its kind.
The star has been named WISE J085510.83-071442.5.
The dwarf star has a chilly temperature between minus minus 48 to minus 13 degrees Celsius. Previous record holders for coldest brown dwarfs were also found by WISE and Spitzer and were about room temperature.
The dwarf star is estimated to be three to 10 times the mass of Jupiter.
With such a low mass, it could be a gas giant similar to Jupiter that was ejected from its star system.
Images from the space telescopes pinpoint that the star is about 7.2 light-years away from the sun making it the fourth closest system to it.
"It is very exciting to discover a new neighbour of our solar system that is so close," said Kevin Luhman, an associate professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State.
The extreme temperature of the dwarf star should tell us a lot about the atmospheres of planets, which often have similarly cold temperatures.
Such dwarf stars start their lives like stars, as collapsing balls of gas, but don`t have the mass to burn nuclear fuel and radiate starlight.
“However, despite its proximity to our solar system, the dwarf star is not an ideal destination for human space travel in the distant future as any planets that might orbit it would be much too cold to support life as we know it,” Luhman maintained.
Scientists estimate it is probably a brown dwarf rather than a planet since brown dwarfs are known to be fairly common.
If so, it is one of the least massive brown dwarfs known.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!