Collision of galaxies ‘formed Andromeda’
London: Astronomers has revealed that Andromeda - the nearest spiral galaxy to the Milky Way- was born when two smaller galaxies collided.
An international team, who conducted a computer simulation of how Andromeda evolved over time, suggest that two galaxies collided some nine billion years ago and permanently fused about 5.5 billion years ago, reports the BBC.
The lead author, Francois Hammer of the Paris Observatory, France, said that while scientists have been able to detect galaxies near the edge of the Universe, there many gaps in our knowledge of our immediate neighbourhood, known as the Local Group of galaxies.
The Local Group includes some 40 galaxies, of which the biggest are the Milky Way and Andromeda.
"Many astronomers, especially specialists in this field, thought that the Andromeda galaxy could be the result of a major merger. However, this has never been tested and especially dated [until now]," said Dr Hammer.
The researcher explained that his team``s findings had "the potential to revise all our knowledge about the Local Group - and this may have also an impact regarding the amount of dark matter in galaxies".
Using a computer simulation, the astronomers were able to reproduce most of the peculiar properties of the Andromeda galaxy: the large thin disk including its giant ring of gas and dust, the massive central bulge, the gigantic thick galactic "disc", and the giant stream of old stars.
The simulations were run on high performance computers at the National Astronomical Observatory of China (NAOC) and at the Paris Observatory.
The scientists used up to eight million particles to simulate stars, gas, and dark matter.
Dr Hammer said that the study could also provide insights into the formation of our own galaxy.
"It doesn``t mean that the Milky Way could not have been formed this way - [maybe it has been], but [it would have happened] much earlier," he said.
The study has been published in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- DNA: Is Sanskrit language losing its importance in India?
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand