Colour map shows Neptune`s moon in new light
Washington: A US scientist has created the best global colour map so far of Neptune`s big moon Triton.
Paul Schenk of Lunar and Planetary Institute in Houston used images taken by a NASA spacecraft 25 years ago to prepare the map.
The map assumes significance as NASA spacecraft New Horizons is moving towards a flyby of Pluto July 14 next year.
Given the fact that Triton and Pluto share many striking features, the map will be helpful for scientists studying Pluto.
"In the intervening quarter century and its many discoveries, I think we have tended to forget how strange and exotic Triton really is!" Schenk wrote in his blog post.
Schenk produced the map after restoring photos taken by the Voyager 2 probe during its flyby of Neptune and Triton Aug 25, 1989.
Both Triton and Pluto are a bit smaller than the earth`s moon and possess nitrogen-dominated atmospheres.
Interestingly, NASA`s New Horizons probe was scheduled to cross the orbit of Neptune Aug 25, nearly 25 years after Voyager 2`s encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials