Comet surprise: Did the sea come from the sky?
Paris: Much of Earth`s oceans may have been created by comets, which whacked into the infant planet billions of years ago, bringing precious loads of ice, a study published today in the journal Nature suggests.
The evidence to support this comes from a signature of the ratio of heavy hydrogen, or deuterium, in water.
Ice on a comet called 103P/Hartley 2, analysed by an infrared instrument aboard Europe`s Herschel space telescope as it swung by Earth in October and November 2010, has the same deuterium ratio as water on Earth.
Primal leftovers from the building of the Solar System, comets are mixtures of ice and dust that have been dubbed "dirty snowballs."
They are lonely wanderers, looping around the Sun in orbits that are measured in a years or sometimes centuries, although a tiny gravitational tug by a nearby body can deflect their course.
Astrophysicists have long puzzled over the source for Earth`s water.
Earth was so scorchingly hot in its early years that all volatiles, including water, evaporated.
Water, 3.9 billion years ago, would only have existed in abundance in the chillier outer regions of the Solar System.
This is why fingers have until now pointed in the direction of asteroids, rocks that orbit in a belt between Mars and Jupiter, as the big source.
"Current theories came to the result that less than 10 percent of Earth`s water originated from comets," said Paul Hartogh of the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research (MPS) in Germany, who led the study.
"For the first time, our results imply that comets may have played a much more important role," his colleague, Miriam Rengel, added.
The icy bombardment would have occurred some eight million years after Earth was formed.
Hartley 2 is probably traceable to comets that originated in the Kuiper Belt, which starts in the region of Pluto, says the paper.
Six other comets measured by Herschel in recent years have very different deuterium ratios. They are believed to have originated from the far distant Oort Cloud, which is 5,000 times farther out from the Sun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi