Coolant leak found in International Space Station
Washington: Astronauts on the International Space Station have discovered a leak of ammonia coolant on their orbiting habitat, and NASA is looking into the problem.
However, it poses no immediate danger to the crew, officials said on Thursday, Discovery News reported.
The space station uses chilled liquid ammonia to cool down the power systems on its eight giant solar array panels.
A minor leak of this ammonia was first noticed in 2007, and NASA has been studying the issue ever since.
In November 2012 two astronauts took a spacewalk to fix the problem, rewiring some coolant lines and installing a spare radiator due to fears the original radiator was damaged by a micrometeorite impact.
At the time, those measures appeared to fix the problem, but today astronauts on the football field-size space station noticed a steady stream of frozen ammonia flakes leaking from the area of the suspect coolant loop in the Photovoltaic Thermal Control System (PVTCS).
"It is in the same area, but we don`t know whether it`s the same leak," NASA spokesman Kelly Humphries of the Johnson Space Center in Houston told SPACE.com.
Humphries said the agency was taking the leak seriously because it affects an important system - if they lose the ability to cool that particular solar array, it won`t be able to generate power for the station.
In fact, the leak has worsened to the point that Mission Control expects that particular loop to shut down within the next 24 hours.
However, "the crew is in no danger," Humphries stressed. It`s too soon to speculate on a possible spacewalk or other measure to deal with the issue, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!