Cosmic radio waves mimic chirping of `alien birds`
Cape Canaveral: Twin spacecraft have captured the clearest sounds yet from Earth`s radiation belts and they mimic the chirping of birds.
NASA`s Van Allen Probes have been exploring the hostile radiation belts surrounding Earth for just three months. But already, they`ve collected measurements of high-energy particles and radio waves in unprecedented detail.
Scientists said yesterday these waves can provide an energy boost to radiation belt particles, somewhat like ocean waves can propel a surfer on Earth. What`s more, these so-called chorus waves operate in the same frequency as human hearing so they can be heard.
University of Iowa physicist Craig Kletzing played a recording of these high-pitched radio waves at the American Geophysical Union fall meeting in San Francisco.
"Not only do you hear the chirps the alien birds as my wife calls them but you hear that sort of cricket-like thing in the background. That was something we couldn`t resolve before because we couldn`t listen to those very soft things on top of the bright ones. So this is really a fantastic new measurement," Kletzing told reporters.
While the chorus has been audible even before the Space Age ham radio operators could sometimes hear it in decades past the clarity of these measurements is "really quite striking," Kletzing said.
Observations continue in tandem with other instruments on the two satellites.
Initial findings show the outer radiation belt to be much more dynamic and rapidly changing than anticipated, said the University of Colorado`s Daniel Baker, principal investigator for the electron proton telescope on each probe.
The Van Allen Probes formerly known as the Radiation Belt Storm Probes were launched from Cape Canaveral on Aug 30. They were named after the late University of Iowa astrophysicist James Van Allen, who discovered, a half-century ago, the radiation belts that bear his name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced