Countdown begins for Oceansat-2 launch
Chennai: The countdown for the launch of
Oceansat-2 satellite that would help identify potential
fishing zones and in coastal zone studies from Sriharikota, 90
kilometres from here began on Monday.
The 970-kg satellite would be shot into space on
September 23 by Indian Space Research Organisation`s Polar
Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) along with six European nano
spacecrafts, giving the mission an European flavour.
"Countdown began today at 9 AM and everything is going on
smoothly," ISRO spokesperson S Satish told a news agency.
A set of two Rubin nano and four cubeats would also ride
piggyback, accompanying Oceansat-2, on the homegrown PSLV
rocket that will blast off from the Satish Dhavan Space Centre
at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
Apart from two Rubin nano satellites from Germany, the
four cubesats lined up for the mission are: Beesat, built by
Technical University Berlin, UWE-2 (University of Wuerzburg
Germany), ITU-pSat (Istanbul Technical University Turkey) and
SwissCube-1 (Ecole Polytechnique Federal de Lausanne,
All parameters were normal and efforts for a smooth
launch were underway in full swing, Satish said.
Oceansat-2, the 16th remote sensing satellite of India,
is intended for identification of potential fishing zones, sea
state forecasting, coastal zone studies and providing inputs
for weather forecasting and climate studies.
It is an in-orbit replacement to Oceansat-1, launched by
ISRO in May 1999, which was used to study physical and
biological aspects of oceanography.
Data from Oceansat-1, which has completed 10 years of
odyssey, was widely used by fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt