Countdown for launch of PSLV-C18 starts
Chennai: The 50-hour countdown for the launch of Indo-French climate monitoring satellite Megha-Tropiques and three other nano satellites on board PSLV-C18 on October 12 from the spaceport of Sriharikota is progressing well, the ISRO today said.
"The countdown for the launch started at 9 AM today. The countdown will be for 50 hours. All the mandatory checks will be made in PSLV-C18, before the launch. The launch is scheduled at 11 AM on October 12," ISRO spokesman S Sathish said.
Megha-Tropiques will carry three payloads - two by France`s space agency CNES and one jointly by ISRO and CNES - and a complementary scientific instrument. ISRO has built Megha-Tropiques, an advanced tropical climate monitoring satellite, at a cost of Rs 80 crore with "equal contribution" from French government space agency, Centre National d`Etudes Spatiales.
Megha-Tropiques (Megha meaning cloud in Sanskrit and Tropiques denoting tropics in French) will investigate the contribution of water cycle in the tropical atmosphere to climate dynamics.
The other three nano satellites are one each from Luxembourg, the indigenous `Jugnu` of IIT-Kanpur and SRM University, Chennai.
Data received from ?Jugnu? will be studied with a tracking system installed at IIT-Kanpur and pictures and information received from it will be used for research. Jugnu will also help gather information on floods, drought and disaster management.
This will be the fourth ISRO mission this year, including one launched from French Guyana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave