Curiosity confirms Martian meteorites originated from Mars
Washington: Mars rover Curiosity has just proven that Martian meteorites are really from the Red Planet.
A key new measurement of Mars` atmosphere by NASA`s Curiosity rover provides the most definitive evidence yet of the origins of Mars meteorites while at the same time providing a way to rule out Martian origins of other meteorites.
The new measurement is a high-precision count of two forms of argon gas-argon-36 and argon-38 -- accomplished by the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument on Curiosity.
These lighter and heavier forms, or isotopes, of argon exist naturally throughout the solar system.
But on Mars the ratio of light to heavy argon is skewed because a lot of that planet`s original atmosphere was lost to space, with the lighter form of argon being taken away more readily because it rises to the top of the atmosphere more easily and requires less energy to escape.
That`s left the Martian atmosphere relatively enriched in the heavier argon-38.
Years of past analyzes by Earth-bound scientists of gas bubbles trapped inside Martian meteorites had already narrowed the Martian argon ratio to between 3.6 and 4.5 (that is 3.6 to 4.5 atoms of argon-36 to everyone argon-38) with the supposed Martian "atmospheric" value near four.
Measurements by NASA`s Viking landers in the 1970`s put the Martian atmospheric ratio in the range of four to seven.
The new SAM direct measurement on Mars now pins down the correct argon ratio at 4.2.
The findings are published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack