Curiosity rover gets `brain transplant`
Washington: NASA`s rover `Curiosity` has spend its first weekend on Mars getting a `brain transplant` enabling it to enhance its performance by avoiding hazards while driving and using its strong robotic arm.
The `brain transplant` that the rover is going through is installing a new version of software in both of its redundant main computers in a series of steps from August 10 to August 13, NASA said in a statement.
The software for Mars surface operations was uploaded to the rover`s memory during the Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft`s flight from Earth.
"We designed the mission from the start to be able to upgrade the software as needed for different phases of the mission," said Ben Cichy of NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, chief software engineer for the Mars Science Laboratory mission.
"The flight software version Curiosity currently is using was really focused on landing the vehicle. It includes many capabilities we just don`t need any more. It gives us basic capabilities for operating the rover on the surface, but we have planned all along to switch over after landing to a version of flight software that is really optimised for surface operations," Cichy said.
A key capability in the new version is image processing to check for obstacles. This allows for longer drives by giving the rover more autonomy to identify and avoid potential hazards and drive along a safe path the rover identifies for itself.
Other new capabilities facilitate use of the tools at the end of the rover`s robotic arm.
`Curiosity` had made a spectacular landing in Gale Crater at 05:30 GMT (11:00 IST) on
August 6 in a two-year search to find out if the red planet once hosted conditions suitable for life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune