Damage suffered by Curiosity`s aluminum wheels raise concern
Washington: Photographs obtained from Curiosity`s robotic arm-mounted Mars Hand Lens Imager have shown marked wear and tear on the rover`s front left wheel.
The pictures have also highlighted scratched and punctures in its thin aluminum material, but the lead rover driver Matt Heverly said that such damages were to be expected, Discovery News reported.
However, the concern over the worsening condition of the wheels has grown after the one-ton robot rolled over some craggy terrain.
The project manager for the NASA Mars Science Laboratory, Jim Erickson , added that certain dents and holes were expected but the amount of wear appears to have increased in the past few months.
The `skin` of the six aluminum wheels is only 0.75mm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre