Dedicated satellites to monitor greenhouse gases
New Delhi: Indian Space Research Organisation
(ISRO) will launch dedicated satellites for monitoring green
house gases and forest cover by 2012 and 2013 respectively,
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Tuesday.
"Efforts are on to launch an indigenous satellite for
monitoring greenhouse gases and aerosol emissions, which will
place India in a select league by 2012.
"The following year, we will have a forestry satellite
to monitor the forest cover, health and diversity on a
real-time basis," Ramesh said at a national workshop by
Indian Network for Climate Change Assessment.
"India: Greenhouse Gas Emission 2007" report was
released by Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman of
Planning Commission, on the occasion.
The Environment Minister said Brazil which has been
monitoring the forests on the daily basis has lost 25 million
hectares of green cover while India has added three million
hectares to its forest cover between 1997 and 2007.
Afforestation, he said, is being seen as a way to
develop important carbon sinks to tackle climate change.
The country already has plans to increase the green
cover in a big way through various schemes with Green Mission,
a major programme being initiated under the National Action
Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC).
The Indian Network of Comprehensive Climate Change
Assessment (INCCCA), a project involving 125 research
institutions, was launched last year in October 14.
INCAA has been visualised as a network based programme
mandated to undertake programmes of Climate Change Assessment
and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emission for the year 2007.
The network would also soon come out with a report
assessing the impact of emissions on agriculture, water,
health and forest by studying the four crucial regions viz.,
Western Ghats, Northeast, the Himalayan ecosystem and the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued