Did NASA`s Voyager 1 reach interstellar space?
Washington: Researchers have recently raised questions regarding Voyager 1 not reaching in the interstellar space, after it was announced in 2012 that the spacecraft has traveled further from Earth than any other manmade object.
Some scientists have said that the spacecraft was still within the heliosphere, the region of space dominated by the Sun and its wind of energetic particles and has not yet reached the space between the stars. However, two Voyager team scientists have developed a test that claimed could prove once and for all if Voyager 1 has crossed the boundary.
The scientists predicted that, in the next two years, Voyager 1 would cross the current sheet, the sprawling surface within the heliosphere where the polarity of the sun`s magnetic field changes from plus to minus and if it would detect a reversal in the magnetic field, it would prove that it was still within the heliosphere. But, if the magnetic field reversal doesn`t happen in the next year or two as expected, then it would be confirmed that Voyager 1 has already passed into interstellar space.
George Gloeckler, a professor in atmospheric, oceanic and space sciences at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor has worked on the Voyager mission since 1972 and has been a vocal opponent of the view that Voyager 1 has entered interstellar space as it has observed many signs indicating, like cosmic rays, although it did not see a change in magnetic field that many were expecting.
Gloeckler said that this controversy would continue until it was resolved by measurements.
Ed Stone, of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena and NASA`s Voyager Project Scientist said in a statement that it was the nature of the scientific process that alternative theories could develop in order to account for new observations.
The study is published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India