Double celestial treat for sky gazers tomorrow
New Delhi: Sky gazers are in for a double celestial treat on the evening of the Republic Day as Venus and Moon will converge in for a beautiful conjunction, apart from seeing our natural satellite`s ashen glow.
"Moon`s ashen glow or `the old Moon in the new Moon`s arms` takes place when sunlight is reflected from the Earth to one side of the Moon due to which it appears to glow faintly and the entire orb of the satellite is dimly visible," said Director of Nehru Planetarium (Nehru Centre) Arvind Paranjpye.
The phenomenon is also known as Earthshine, SPACE Director C B Devgun said.
"The glow on the dark portion of the crescent Moon is known as earthshine," he said.
Apart from the moon`s ashen glow, astro-enthusiasts will also be able to witness a conjunction of thin crescent Moon and Venus tomorrow night.
"Venus can be seen shining brilliantly above the western horizon after the sunset," Paranjpye said.
Conjunction, also known as appulse, is a phenomenon in which celestial bodies appear near one another as seen from the Earth.
"The bright pair of the planet and the moon can be seen with naked eyes," Planetary Society of India General Secretary N Sri Raghunandan Kumar said.
Both the Moon and the Venus will appear very near to each other, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation