Dwarf galaxies dancing around larger ones question universe formation theories
Washington: Several dwarf galaxies that `dance` throughout the universe in arranged disc-shaped orbits around larger ones makes it more difficult to understand how the universe was formed and evolved, according to a new study.
Professor Geraint Lewis from the University of Sydney`s School of Physics, said that early in 2013 they announced their startling discovery that half of the dwarf galaxies surrounding the Andromeda Galaxy were orbiting it in an immense plane and this plane was more than a million light years in diameter, but was very thin, with a width of only 300 000 light years.
Professor Geraint Lewis said that everywhere they looked they saw this strangely coherent coordinated motion of dwarf galaxies and from this they could extrapolate that these circular planes of dancing dwarfs were universal, seen in about 50 percent of galaxies.
Lead author Neil Ibata of the Lycee International in Strasbourg, France, said that they were surprised to find that a large proportion of pairs of satellite galaxies had oppositely directed velocities if they were situated on opposite sides of their giant galaxy hosts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25