Earth may be surrounded by hundreds of tiny moons
London: Hundreds of temporary moons may be orbiting earth, which are too tiny and small to be detected easily, researchers say.
Researchers have since long supposed that wandering asteroids might seldom approach earth close enough to get snagged by gravity and become temporary moons.
Mikael Granvik of the University of Helsinki in Finland and colleagues ran computer simulations of the abundance of asteroids of various sizes in Earth’s neighbourhood and the likelihood of their capture in a close encounter, New Scientist reported.
An object must start off in an orbit almost identical to earth’s in order to be captured. This implies that the asteroids are travelling at more or less the same speed as earth, making it feasible for them to get held-up by earth’s gravity, helped by gravitational pulls from the sun and moon. Similar perturbations ultimately shake them loose.
The team estimated that, on average, one asteroid about 1 metre across is in Earth’s orbit at any given time, and 1000 or so smaller space rocks down to 10 centimetres across should be in orbit too.
“There’s a lot more of these than people may have been thinking,” Granvik said.
They orbit at distances between five and 10 times as distant from Earth as the moon. Majority of them stay in orbit for less than a year, however some stay for much longer durations. One of the objects in the team’s simulations stayed in orbit for nearly 900 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof