Earth`s make-up `differs from Sun`
Washington: Contrary to decades-old assumption, a new research on the columns of hot rock from the Earth`s core has concluded that our planet has a different chemical make-up from the Sun.
For over a century, planetary scientists assumed the Earth has same chemical make-up as the Sun, based on the idea that everything in the solar system in general has the same composition. Now, an international team has found otherwise.
As it is easier to measure the chemical make-up of chondritic meteorites, planetary scientists have long used these to more precisely determine the Sun`s composition -- and
therefore the composition of the Earth. From this, the team has concluded that the Earth has a "chondritic" composition.
Prof Ian Campbell at the Australian National University, who led the team, said he spent 20 years researching mantle plumes -- columns of hot rock that rise from the boundary of
the Earth`s core and are the mechanism that removes heat from the Earth`s centre.
"The problem with the idea of a hidden reservoir is that although these elements could be hidden we would be able to detect the heat they produce.
"However, mantle plumes simply don`t release enough heat for these reservoirs to exist. As a consequence the Earth simply does not have the same composition as chondrites or the Sun," he said in a release.
Prof Hugh O` Neill, a team member, added: "The Earth is thought to have formed by collision of planetary bodies of increasing size. In our research we suggest that by the time these planetary bodies had reached a moderate size they developed an outer shell that contained a significant amount of heat-producing elements.
"During the final stages of the Earth`s formation this outer shell was lost by a process called `collisional erosion`. This produced an Earth that has fewer heat producing
elements than chondritic meteorites, which explains why the Earth doesn`t have the same chemical composition as chondritic meteorites."
The findings have been published in the `Nature` journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015