Einstein`s brain on display in UK
London: A slice of genius! Albert Einstein`s brain will be shown in public for the first time in the UK along with that of computer scientist Charles Babbage at an exhibition here.
When Einstein died in 1955, at the age of 76, his brain was divided into sections, two of which are going on show at the Wellcome Collection in London.
The exhibition entitled, Brains: The Mind As Matter, also features the brain of a murderer, a suffragette and one of the pioneers of computer science Sir Charles Babbage.
The two slides from Einstein`s brain are on loan from the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, where they were only shown publicly in the US for the first time last year, the Daily Mail reported.
The eminent scientist was cremated and his ashes were scattered according to his wishes.
But pathologist Thomas Harvey, who carried out the post-mortem examination, said that Einstein`s son gave him permission to preserve the brain for research, a claim which was later disputed.
Harvey kept the brain, which to many people`s surprise was not particularly large, and divided it into 240 sections preserved in jars of formaldehyde at his house.
He gave a box of 46 slides to his pathologist colleague William Ehrich, and the samples were eventually donated to the museum in Philadelphia.
`Gentleman, scholar and murderer` Edward H Rulloff`s brain, one of the largest ever known, is also on display for the first time in Britain.
US suffragette Helen H Gardener`s brain which she donated to science to disprove theories about gender is another famous brain to feature at the exhibition.
An ancient Egyptian brain, one of the oldest specimens ever known, and a brain specimen containing a bullet wound are on show to the public.
A `souvenir` piece of William Burke`s brain, which was kept as a piece of `poetic justice` following his hanging in 1929 for murdering several people to sell their bodies for
dissection is also on display.
The exhibition, that opens tomorrow and runs until June 17, examines the measuring and classifying of brains, its mapping and modelling, cutting and treating along with preservation techniques.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi