Elusive oxygen molecules discovered in space
Washington: NASA scientists have for the first time discovered significant evidence of molecular oxygen in space, ending a nearly 230-year search for the elusive molecules.
The molecules were discovered in the Orion star-forming complex using the Herschel telescope and state-of-the-art infrared detectors.
Individual atoms of oxygen are common in space, particularly around massive stars. But molecular oxygen, which makes up about 20 percent of the air we breathe, has eluded astronomers until now.
“Oxygen gas was discovered in the 1770s, but it’s taken us more than 230 years to finally say with certainty that this very simple molecule exists in space,” said lead researcher Paul Goldsmith, NASA’s Herschel project scientist at the agency’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.
Astronomers searched for the elusive molecules in space for decades using balloons, as well as ground- and space-based telescopes. The Swedish Odin telescope spotted the molecule in 2007, but the sighting could not be confirmed.
Goldsmith and his colleagues propose that oxygen is locked up in water ice that coats tiny dust grains. They think the oxygen detected by Herschel in the Orion Nebula was formed after starlight warmed the icy grains, releasing water, which was converted into oxygen molecules.
“This explains where some of the oxygen might be hiding,” said Goldsmith.
“But we didn’t find large amounts of it, and still don’t understand what is so special about the spots where we find it. The universe still holds many secrets,” he added.
The researchers plan to continue their hunt for oxygen molecules in other star-forming regions.
The findings appear in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP