Endeavour crater finds proof of past water on Mars
Washington: Scientists have found possible evidence of past water on Mars from the giant impact crater called Endeavour, thanks to the Mars rover Opportunity.
Endeavour is an impact crater 14 miles in diameter, and offers tantalizing clues about the Red Planet’s early formative process, according to the scientists.
Opportunity arrived Aug. 9 at Cape York, on the rim of Endeavour, after a three-year journey of about 13 miles as it detoured to avoid numerous hazards along the way.
Steve Squyres, Cornell’s Goldwin Smith Professor of Astronomy and principal investigator of the Mars Exploration Rover mission, described Tisdale 2, the first rock Opportunity has examined at the rim of Endeavour during a Sept. 1 news teleconference.
Tisdale 2 is a basaltic rock that has a composition similar to some volcanic rocks, but most striking so far is the large amount of zinc in its chemical makeup, Squyres said.
For rocks on Earth, zinc is an element typically associated with being formed in a place with hydrothermal activity.
“This is a clue ... that we may be dealing with a hydrothermal system here. We may be dealing with a situation where water has percolated or flowed or somehow moved through these rocks – maybe as vapour or maybe as liquid. We don’t know yet,” he said.
It is too early to tell whether the rock’s composition indicates evidence of water on Mars, Squyres said, but the initial observations point to what he expects will be a “long and interesting story about these rocks.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical