European telescope detects oxygen in space
Washington: The European Space Agency`s Herschel telescope has found the first confirmed evidence of oxygen molecules in space, according to a report published this week in the Astrophysical Journal.
The traces, which have long eluded astronomers, were found in the star-forming region of the Orion constellation.
"Oxygen gas was discovered in the 1770s, but it`s taken us more than 230 years to finally say with certainty that this very simple molecule exists in space," said Paul Goldsmith, NASA`s Herschel project scientist at the agency`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California.
Astronomers say the oxygen is contained in ice that covers the surface of tiny dust granules, which release water and oxygen when warmed.
"This explains where some of the oxygen might be hiding," said Goldsmith. "But we didn`t find large amounts of it, and still don`t understand what is so special about the spots where we find it. The universe still holds many secrets."
NASA provided some of the technology to support science instruments on the Herschel telescope, which was launched in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM