Evidence of jet in Milky Way`s supermassive black hole found
Washington: Astronomers, who have long sought strong evidence that Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*), the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way, is producing a jet of high-energy particles, have finally found it.
The astronomers used NASA`s Chandra X-ray Observatory and the National Science Foundation`s Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescope to make the finding.
Previous studies, using a variety of telescopes, suggested there was a jet, but these reports-including the orientation of the suspected jets-often contradicted each other and were not considered definitive.
"For decades astronomers have looked for a jet associated with the Milky Way`s black hole. Our new observations make the strongest case yet for such a jet," lead author Zhiyuan Li of Nanjing University in China, said.
Jets of high-energy particles are found throughout the universe, on large and small scales.
They are produced by young stars and by black holes a thousand times larger than the Milky Way`s black hole.
They play important roles in transporting energy away from the central object and, on a galactic scale, in regulating the rate of formation of new stars.
The jet appears to be running into gas near Sgr A*, producing X-rays detected by Chandra and radio emission observed by the VLA.
The two key pieces of evidence for the jet are a straight line of X-ray emitting gas that points toward Sgr A* and a shock front-similar to a sonic boom-seen in radio data, where the jet appears to be striking the gas.
Additionally, the energy signature, or spectrum, in X-rays of Sgr A* resembles that of jets coming from supermassive black holes in other galaxies.
The findings are published online in The Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan