Exoplanet Gliese 581d may host life: Scientists
London: Scientists have discovered a red dwarf star 20 light-years away which they believe hosts the first definitively habitable planet outside our Solar System.
According to French researchers, the planet `Gliese 581d` is located at the colder outer edge of the "Goldilocks zone", or habitable zone, where liquid water can be sustained.
They also believe the atmosphere of the exoplanet may keep things warm enough for water, the BBC reported.
Gliese 581d was discovered along with another planet Gliese 581c in 2007, occupying the outer and inner edges of the Goldilocks zone, respectively.
Gliese 581c was soon determined to be too close to its host star to sustain water, with a surface temperature exceeding 1,000C.
Conversely, the outlying planet 581d -- with a mass about six times that of the Earth and twice its size – was initially taken to be too cold to have liquid water.
Now, researchers at the Institute Pierre Simon Laplace in Paris have run computer simulations of the planet`s atmosphere and argued that it is likely to contain high concentrations of carbon dioxide.
Reporting their findings in Astrophysical Journal Letters, the researchers contend that conditions could be suitable for oceans of liquid water as well as clouds and rainfall.
However, Gliese 581d`s denser air and dim red light from its host star would make for a murky environment that would be toxic to humans.
Robin Wordsworth, a member of the research team, said that the findings were further evidence that the sheer variety of planets and environments far outpaced that which we see in our own Solar System.
He said that the simulations are tantamount to a first definitive claim for a habitable exoplanet.
"This discovery is important because it`s the first time climate modellers have proved that the planet is potentially habitable, and all observers agree that the exoplanet exists," Dr Wordsworth was quoted as saying.
"The Gliese system is particularly exciting to us as it`s very close to Earth, relatively speaking. So with future generations of telescopes, we`ll be able to search for life on Gliese 581d directly."
According to researchers, the solar system also hosts another contender for habitability -- planet Gliese 581g which was announced in 2010. However, the existence of that planet has since been called into question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'