Exoplanet with longest known year discovered
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: In a recent discovery, astronomers have discovered a transiting exoplanet with the longest known year which circles its star once every 704 days.
The host star, Kepler-421, is located about 1,000 light-years from Earth in the direction of the constellation Lyra.
David Kipping of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics said that "Finding Kepler-421b was a stroke of luck.``
"The farther a planet is from its star, the less likely it is to transit the star from Earth`s point of view. It has to line up just right," Kipping further said.
Kepler-421b orbits an orange, type K star that is cooler and dimmer than our Sun. It circles the star at a distance of about 177 million kilometres.
As a result, this Uranus-sized planet is chilled to a temperature of minus 92.7 degrees Celsius. As the name implies, Kepler-421b was discovered using data from NASA`s Kepler spacecraft.
The spacecraft stared at the same patch of sky for 4 years, watching for stars that dim as planets cross in front of them.
The planet`s orbit places it beyond the "snow line" - the dividing line between rocky and gas planets. Outside of the snow line, water condenses into ice grains that stick together to build gas giant planets.
"The snow line is a crucial distance in planet formation theory. We think all gas giants must have formed beyond this distance," said Kipping.
Since gas giant planets can be found extremely close to their stars, in orbits lasting days or even hours, theorists believe that many exoplanets migrate inward early in their history.
"This is the first example of a potentially non-migrating gas giant in a transiting system that we`ve found," said Kipping.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged