Exoplanet with longest known year discovered
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: In a recent discovery, astronomers have discovered a transiting exoplanet with the longest known year which circles its star once every 704 days.
The host star, Kepler-421, is located about 1,000 light-years from Earth in the direction of the constellation Lyra.
David Kipping of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics said that "Finding Kepler-421b was a stroke of luck.``
"The farther a planet is from its star, the less likely it is to transit the star from Earth`s point of view. It has to line up just right," Kipping further said.
Kepler-421b orbits an orange, type K star that is cooler and dimmer than our Sun. It circles the star at a distance of about 177 million kilometres.
As a result, this Uranus-sized planet is chilled to a temperature of minus 92.7 degrees Celsius. As the name implies, Kepler-421b was discovered using data from NASA`s Kepler spacecraft.
The spacecraft stared at the same patch of sky for 4 years, watching for stars that dim as planets cross in front of them.
The planet`s orbit places it beyond the "snow line" - the dividing line between rocky and gas planets. Outside of the snow line, water condenses into ice grains that stick together to build gas giant planets.
"The snow line is a crucial distance in planet formation theory. We think all gas giants must have formed beyond this distance," said Kipping.
Since gas giant planets can be found extremely close to their stars, in orbits lasting days or even hours, theorists believe that many exoplanets migrate inward early in their history.
"This is the first example of a potentially non-migrating gas giant in a transiting system that we`ve found," said Kipping.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured