Exoplanet with longest known year discovered
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: In a recent discovery, astronomers have discovered a transiting exoplanet with the longest known year which circles its star once every 704 days.
The host star, Kepler-421, is located about 1,000 light-years from Earth in the direction of the constellation Lyra.
David Kipping of the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics said that "Finding Kepler-421b was a stroke of luck.``
"The farther a planet is from its star, the less likely it is to transit the star from Earth`s point of view. It has to line up just right," Kipping further said.
Kepler-421b orbits an orange, type K star that is cooler and dimmer than our Sun. It circles the star at a distance of about 177 million kilometres.
As a result, this Uranus-sized planet is chilled to a temperature of minus 92.7 degrees Celsius. As the name implies, Kepler-421b was discovered using data from NASA`s Kepler spacecraft.
The spacecraft stared at the same patch of sky for 4 years, watching for stars that dim as planets cross in front of them.
The planet`s orbit places it beyond the "snow line" - the dividing line between rocky and gas planets. Outside of the snow line, water condenses into ice grains that stick together to build gas giant planets.
"The snow line is a crucial distance in planet formation theory. We think all gas giants must have formed beyond this distance," said Kipping.
Since gas giant planets can be found extremely close to their stars, in orbits lasting days or even hours, theorists believe that many exoplanets migrate inward early in their history.
"This is the first example of a potentially non-migrating gas giant in a transiting system that we`ve found," said Kipping.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert