Extrasolar planet formation sheds new light on other planetary systems
Washington: Researchers has found evidence that an extrasolar planet may be forming quite far from its star-about twice the distance Pluto is from our Sun.
The planet lies inside a dusty, gaseous disk around a small red dwarf TW Hydrae, which is only about 55 percent of the mass of the Sun.
The discovery adds to the ever-increasing variety of planetary systems in the Milky Way.
This dusty protoplanetary disk is the closest one to us, some 176 light-years away in the constellation Hydra.
The astronomers made Hubble Space Telescope observations over a wide range of wavelengths from visible to near infrared and modeled the color and structure of the disk in a way that has not been done before.
"TW Hydrae is between 5 and 10 million years old, and should be in the final throes of planet formation before its disk dissipates," coauthor Alycia Weinberger of the Carnegie Institution and principal investigator of the observations, said.
"It is surprising to find a planet only 5 to 10 percent of Jupiter`s mass forming so far out since planets should form faster closer in. In all planet formation scenarios, it`s difficult to make a low-mass planet far away from a low-mass star," she added.
The research is set to be published in the Astrophysical Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!