‘Father of Computer Graphics’ Ivan Sutherland wins Kyoto Prize
Tokyo: Dr Ivan Sutherland, often dubbed as “Father of Computer Graphics”, an Indian literary critic and a Japanese molecular cell biologist was awarded advanced technology prize on Saturday by the Inamori Foundation.
Gayatri Chakrovorty Spivak, an Indian literary critic and professor at Columbia University has won the arts and philosophy prize.
Yoshinori Ohsumi, a molecular biologist at the Tokyo Institute of Technology, received the basic sciences prize for his work on autophagy, a cell-recycling system that could be used to help treat neurodegenerative and age-related diseases such as Alzheimer`s and cancer.
The Kyoto-based Inamori Foundation was set up in 1984 by Kyocera Corp.`s founder, Kazuo Inamori.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS