Final phase of cloud seeding project
Pune: In a joint exercise, three nodal meteorological agencies led by a team of scientists from the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) will soon carry out the final phase of a cloud seeding research programme for a possible application in the rain shadow regions in Maharashtra, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
To aid the project undertaken as part of CAIPEX (Cloud Aerosol Interaction and Precipitation Enhancement Experiment) programme of the Ministry of Earth Sciences, aircraft, fitted with specialised instruments, will be hired from South Africa and Israel, and have an operational base in Hyderabad, said J R Kulkarni, IITM scientist, who is the Project Director, heading a team of 20 researchers.
The other two agencies involved in the two-year Rs 50-crore project envisaged to benefit the rain-starved regions of the three states, are Indian Meteorological Department and National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting.
"The second and the final operational phase of the project, to be completed before the current monsoon season, will include warm cloud seeding through salt and hygroscopic flares. The experiment will help in understanding as to how aerosol interact with cloud leading to enhancement of rain," Kulkarni said.
As part of the final phase operations, two aircraft will be used for seeding and suspending tiny particles in the atmosphere with the help of a "C-band radar" to see the cloud.
"CAIPEX will help scientists identify methodology to enhance precipitation (rain)," he said, adding meteorological sub-divisions had been referred to to select the peninsular rain shadow regions for the project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title