First black hole orbiting `spinning` star discovered
Washington: Spanish scientists have discovered what may be the first binary system ever known to consist of a black hole and a "spinning" star, which is more accurately known as a Be-type star.
Although predicted by theory, none had previously been found.
The observations that led to the discovery were performed with the Liverpool and Mercator telescopes at the Observatorio del Roque de los Muchachos (Canary Islands, Spain).
Be-type stars are quite common across the universe. In our galaxy alone more than 80 of them are known in binary systems together with neutron stars.
"Their distinctive property is their strong centrifugal force: they rotate very fast, close to their break-up speed. It`s like they were cosmic spinning tops," Jorge Casares of the Instituto de Astrofisica de Canarias (IAC) and La Laguna University (ULL), said.
The newly discovered black hole orbits the Be star known as MWC 656, located in the constellation Lacerta (the Lizard) -- 8,500 light-years from Earth.
The Be star rotates so fast that its surface speed exceeds 1 million kilometers per hour.
The findings are published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured