First space tourist plans `historic journey to Mars` in 2018
Washington: A nonprofit organisation led by Dennis Tito, the first ever space tourist, has announced its intention to launch a mission to Mars in 2018.
Called the Inspiration Mars Foundation, the organization is hosting a press conference next Wednesday at the National Press Club in which details of the plans for the trip will be revealed, CNN.com reported.
The proposed launch date is January 2018, and the venture is called "Mission for America."
Tito paid 20 million dollars to be the first paying guest of the International Space Station in 2001, making him the first private space traveller.
Now his organization is aiming to get to Mars and back in 501 days, according to a press release.
The press release doesn`t explicitly state that the mission is manned, but it does say that the organization "is committed to accelerating America`s human exploration of space as a critical catalyst for future growth, national prosperity, new knowledge and global leadership."
The official description of the mission states: This "Mission for America" will generate new knowledge, experience and momentum for the next great era of space exploration. It is intended to encourage all Americans to believe again in doing the hard things that make our nation great, while inspiring youth through Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and motivation.
But noting is revealed about where the money will come from, or how the potential space traveler(s) would survive the journey.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living