First space tourist plans `historic journey to Mars` in 2018
Washington: A nonprofit organisation led by Dennis Tito, the first ever space tourist, has announced its intention to launch a mission to Mars in 2018.
Called the Inspiration Mars Foundation, the organization is hosting a press conference next Wednesday at the National Press Club in which details of the plans for the trip will be revealed, CNN.com reported.
The proposed launch date is January 2018, and the venture is called "Mission for America."
Tito paid 20 million dollars to be the first paying guest of the International Space Station in 2001, making him the first private space traveller.
Now his organization is aiming to get to Mars and back in 501 days, according to a press release.
The press release doesn`t explicitly state that the mission is manned, but it does say that the organization "is committed to accelerating America`s human exploration of space as a critical catalyst for future growth, national prosperity, new knowledge and global leadership."
The official description of the mission states: This "Mission for America" will generate new knowledge, experience and momentum for the next great era of space exploration. It is intended to encourage all Americans to believe again in doing the hard things that make our nation great, while inspiring youth through Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education and motivation.
But noting is revealed about where the money will come from, or how the potential space traveler(s) would survive the journey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!