First UFO photograph could be a massive comet
London: A photograph taken in 1883 was heralded as the first photographic evidence of UFOs.
But now scientists believe it could be a massive comet that came close to hitting the earth with the same force as that which killed the dinosaurs, the Daily Mail reported.
Mexican astronomer Jose Banilla took the image, which appears to show something passing in front of the moon, on August 12 1883.
When it was released publicly in 1885 in the magazine L’Astronomie it was dubbed the first photo of a UFO.
Now, a new study by the Univeridad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico suggested that it was a comet in the process of breaking up.
Scientists believe that the ‘fuzzy’ object with a dark trail looks like a comet, according to Universe Today.
Using the time that it took the object to cross the Sun, which was a third to a full second according to Bonilla, experts have calculated that the object would be at most 8,000km away.
And as well as being shockingly close to earth, the scientists believe that the comet could have had the same mass as the object that wiped out the dinosaurs.
The study authors believe that at the top end of their estimates it would be the same size as Mars’ moon Deimos.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wow! This self-driving robot can deliver food to your door (Watch)
- 2nd conviction in coal scam; 3 top officials of Rathi steel convicted
- Photo alert! ‘Baazigar’ jodi Shah Rukh Khan-Shilpa Shetty looks like this now
- Flipkart-owned Myntra acquires Jabong for an undisclosed amount
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit