First UFO photograph could be a massive comet
London: A photograph taken in 1883 was heralded as the first photographic evidence of UFOs.
But now scientists believe it could be a massive comet that came close to hitting the earth with the same force as that which killed the dinosaurs, the Daily Mail reported.
Mexican astronomer Jose Banilla took the image, which appears to show something passing in front of the moon, on August 12 1883.
When it was released publicly in 1885 in the magazine L’Astronomie it was dubbed the first photo of a UFO.
Now, a new study by the Univeridad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico suggested that it was a comet in the process of breaking up.
Scientists believe that the ‘fuzzy’ object with a dark trail looks like a comet, according to Universe Today.
Using the time that it took the object to cross the Sun, which was a third to a full second according to Bonilla, experts have calculated that the object would be at most 8,000km away.
And as well as being shockingly close to earth, the scientists believe that the comet could have had the same mass as the object that wiped out the dinosaurs.
The study authors believe that at the top end of their estimates it would be the same size as Mars’ moon Deimos.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez