First UFO photograph could be a massive comet
London: A photograph taken in 1883 was heralded as the first photographic evidence of UFOs.
But now scientists believe it could be a massive comet that came close to hitting the earth with the same force as that which killed the dinosaurs, the Daily Mail reported.
Mexican astronomer Jose Banilla took the image, which appears to show something passing in front of the moon, on August 12 1883.
When it was released publicly in 1885 in the magazine L’Astronomie it was dubbed the first photo of a UFO.
Now, a new study by the Univeridad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico suggested that it was a comet in the process of breaking up.
Scientists believe that the ‘fuzzy’ object with a dark trail looks like a comet, according to Universe Today.
Using the time that it took the object to cross the Sun, which was a third to a full second according to Bonilla, experts have calculated that the object would be at most 8,000km away.
And as well as being shockingly close to earth, the scientists believe that the comet could have had the same mass as the object that wiped out the dinosaurs.
The study authors believe that at the top end of their estimates it would be the same size as Mars’ moon Deimos.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'